Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Wisdom of Sabbath


Words to Ponder … The Wisdom of Sabbath … 
Morrow Mirror … October 6, 2013
Wayne Muller wrote in his book The Sabbath, "When we go to the movie, the lights go dark and we enter the world on the screen. We are seduced by the illusion on the film. Slowly, we surrender even our emotions to the illusion and enter into the world of the 'characters' on the screen, coming to know them, care for them, even worry about them. Our body responds, our heart beats faster, perhaps we laugh or weep, as if we were actually present and involved in that world."[1]
"In the same way we can, over time, become enthralled in the trance of our work. It is all-important, it must be done right away, it won't get done without me, I cannot stop or it will all fall apart, it is all up to me, terrible things will happen if I do not get this done. I have to keep working because I have things to buy and there are bills to pay for those things and I have to buy faster computers and more expensive telephones to help me get more done so I can keep and make money to pay the bills for the things I need to buy to help me get these things done …"[2]
Muller says, "once we are in this trance, there never seems to be a good enough reason to stop."  This is the wisdom of Sabbath time, on the seventh day God rested from all he had done (Gen 2.2).  It was time for rest so God stopped to rest. Look around you; reflect back on time and space, God did not finish creating on the sixth day. The universe is still expanding and life, as we know it, is not the same as it once was nor is it the same as it will be tomorrow. God continues to be involved in creation; making things new. Yet, in the beginning (not our beginning but the beginning of creation) God stopped and rested. 
"Sabbath time is time for rest. We cannot wait until we have everything we need, because the mind is seduced by endlessly multiplying desires. We cannot wait until things slow down, because the world is moving faster and faster."[3] 
If I have any addiction besides expensive coffee it is books. I have several hundred books in my office and every room in our home has bookshelves filled with books. When I finish with a book I place it on a shelf and I think one day I will read that book again. However, I never seem to get around-to-it because everyday a new book is published and there is not enough time to read the new ones let alone the old ones.  To paraphrase Paul… I know what I should not do but I keep on doing it.  I wonder if there is a library in heaven?

Sabbath time is time for rest; we cannot wait until we are finished, because we are never finished. 
Words to ponder...In Christian Love, your pastor and friend in Christ, Dr. Ed Judy


[1] Wayne Muller, Sabbath, Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in our Busy Lives (New York: Bantam Books) 209
[2] Ibid, 210
[3] Ibid, 210f

No comments:

Post a Comment