Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sabbath ... Morrow Mirror 9.22.2013


Words to ponder … Sabbath … Morrow Mirror, September 22, 2013

I will be writing over the next few weeks about Sabbath. When I say Sabbath, I am not talking about Sunday morning worship. I am talking about rest: a much-needed time for healing as well as a time for nourishing our souls. Without this time-this time for rest-our spirit, soul and physical self suffers.  I sometimes wonder if the world has lost its way because humanity does not embrace the Sabbath. I am concerned not because we are disobedient, but because our spirits suffer. Therefore, my discussion is rooted in Exodus 20:8-11, which says in part, “The seventh day is a day of rest.”
Wayne Muller, author and spiritual director, began his book ‘Sabbath’1 with these words: “In the relentless busyness of modern life, we have lost the rhythm between work and rest.” I believe most of us would agree with Muller. We have no balance because the idea of resting has been swallowed up by our desire to succeed. This is fed by the cultural norm that tells us to succeed at whatever the cost. ‘I am to ‘busy’ becomes the greeting of the day. 2
We even lift our busyness up to each other as a badge of honor; “I am so busy I don’t have time to… so how can I rest?” I have come to realize that we are all busy and if we want some sense of normality in our lives, whatever normal is then we have to realize that we will not get everything accomplished we want to accomplish in any given day. Life is busy and we have allowed this to happen and because of our busyness we have forgotten the Sabbath, or maybe more to the point to recognize its value. As people of faith, we need to plan and schedule Sabbath time.
“Remember the Sabbath and keep in holy” is not just a mandate to give God praise, but a call to rest and to take care of our spiritual and physical health.



[1] Wayne Muller, Sabbath, Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in our Busy Lives, (New York: Bantam Books, 1999) 1.
[2] Ibid.

No comments:

Post a Comment